At my local farmer's market last week, I came upon a stand selling the most gorgeous freshly-picked ripe peaches. While I've yet to meet a fruit I didn't like, peaches are a special favorite of mine, especially when they are at their peak in the summer. I grabbed a big bag of these delicious peaches, figuring I'd snack on them throughout the week.
My 9 year old son had other plans. "Let's make a pie!" he said when he saw them. (My love of fruit is nothing compared to his love of pie.) I acquiesced and boy am I glad I did. This wonderful peach pie with butter crust is the result.
Note: If peaches aren't in season, you can swap them for a variety of other fruits - apples, pears, blueberries - whatever you like!
What makes this recipe phenomenal is the crust. If you've never tasted homemade pie crust before, you need to make this recipe. Until I started making crust myself, I thought I didn't like pie. I had only ever tasted the store bought stuff and it is nothing like the crispy, buttery deliciousness that is homemade crust. The bonus? It's absurdly easy to make. So, get baking, and whip up some warm pies for the cool fall days that are just around the corner!
Being picky about our ingredients: Fresh fruit. Period.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp OmegaOil Cooking Oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 large peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Make the crust by combining flour and salt in a bowl. Warm the butter to room temperature and cut it into the flour using your hands or a pastry blender until mixture forms crumbs. Add OmegaOil and mix. Add a few tsp of water to get a dough consistency and form a ball. Wrap dough in saran wrap and place in refrigerator for at least one hour.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir together remaining flour, sugar, cinnamon.
3. Peel and slice peaches.
4. Mix peaches with dry ingredients to coat.
5. Remove half of the crust from the refrigerator and press into your pie pan.
6. Roll the other half of the crust into a flat disk.
7. Fill pan with peach mixture
8. Cover with remaining crust. Cut slits in crust to allow for venting.
9. Beat egg in bowl with a dash of water and wash across the top of the pie. Sprinkle with sugar.
10. Place in oven and bake for 35 - 45 min, until crust begins to brown. Enjoy!
Total time: 1 hour